Experience, Educations, Skills
Marmon Foodservice Technologies ▪ Carol Stream, IL
A Marmon/Berkshire Hathaway Company and a global manufacturer of premium commercial food and beverage equipment and supplies. Marmon Foodservice Technologies has a portfolio of brands with a combined 300 year history in the foodservice industry, resulting in partnerships with leading brands, distributor partners, and business owners.
Global Sales Leadership – McDonald’s Business Unit 06/2018 – 06/2021
- Managed a $100M sales budget, including annual strategies, forecasts, profit, and operations planning, achieving year over year sales growth targets across a broad array of food and beverage equipment solutions
- Led global market basket analysis, focusing on current and adjacent product landscape opportunities for major markets, enabling prioritization and alignment on market-level sales strategies
- Commercial leadership of NPD and partnership with product management in developing new product roadmaps and support of proposal reviews for annual development budgets in the $5M – 10M range.
- Managed strategic relationships with key distributor partner leadership, including establishing credit limits, influencing inventory levels, opportunity assessment and promotion planning
- Oversight and engagement in marketing strategies in support of value pricing analysis, product promotions, and product introductions strategies
Engineering & NPD Director – McDonald’s Business Unit 11/2016 – 09/2019
- Led significant automation product initiatives to POC for commercial kitchens, engaging the partnership of integrators, key component suppliers, food suppliers and various experts
- Developed road map for NPD, targeting opportunities based on customer / industry needs and strategic growth opportunities within the organization
- Implemented standards & guidelines for engineering processes, enabling speed to market and reliable equipment
- Developed a new team through focused technical and organizational skill requirements, along with scheduled restaurant exposure and sharing of learnings and ideas
McDonald’s Corporation ▪ Chicago, IL
McDonald's is the world's leading food service organization, generating more than $40 billion in systemwide sales annually. They operate over 30,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries on six continents and are one of the world's most recognized brands.
Global Equipment Director 06/2007 – 09/2016
- Optimized restaurant operations to enable new premium cook to order premium product offerings, through leading the development and implementation of a new global food production platforms
- Developed and led interactive global webcasts to enable ongoing collaboration with markets on strategies and emerging equipment needs
- Demonstrated the potential for a 2-year return on investment on an IoT restaurant equipment platform with applications, dashboard, SMS and enterprise reporting
- Reduced the cost of going into business in emerging growth markets by 5-10%, through partnering with market-level and global stakeholders on a validation process for simplified equipment and localized manufacturing
- Reduced the development time for several new cook to order platforms by 25% or more, through the implementation and management of an agile project management and communication process
- Piloted new revenue stream opportunities related to a self-serve, automated, customizable coffee platform for high-traffic restaurant profiles where the primary purchase intent is coffee
Director of R&D 01/2004 to 05/2007
- Increased restaurant productivity and simplified operations, through the introduction of successful products from an incubation process where over 70 new product, technology and process concepts were selected, further developed for restaurant applications and evaluated, through working with consultants, government organizations, suppliers and unrelated industries. Examples of these concepts include the leveraging of cameras and RFID tags for tracking food production, printing of packaging in the restaurant and new technologies for pre-packaging of food components.
- Delivered 4 primary utility, technology and cooking equipment ventilation concepts and associated business cases for flexible restaurant platforms, optimized for rapid and economical future menu and service expansion. The developments enabled the implementation of new equipment and processes at a lower cost and level of complexity.
- Optimized 5-10% of process time from kitchen processes through simplification and step reduction, leading a cross-functional team focused on opportunities for Lean practices, automation and changes to process flow and layouts.
- Supported corporate strategies through leading the development of 12 major equipment pieces and systems (new concepts and next generation cooking and preparation equipment) with new features and functionality that did not previously exist in the industry.
Innovation Engineering Manager 01/2001 to 01/2004
Delivered several pilot cook to order automated food production systems, providing 3-5 hours of daily labor savings and increased food quality, through leveraging the efforts of numerous cross-functional internal staff, food, equipment and technology suppliers. The development consisted of new / clean-sheet components with linkage to the point of sales system, equipment networking, sensing and automation features that did not exist in the industry
Bachelor of Science: Mechanical Engineering
University of Wisconsin - Kenosha, Wisconsin
MBA: Operations Management
Illinois Institute of Technology - Chicago, Illinois
+30 patents for food preparation equipment and automation
RECENT TRAINING / COURSES
- Perceptual Maps
- Strategic Pricing
- Strategic Negotiation
- Value Selling Program
- Situational Leadership
- 80/20 Analysis & PLS
- Crucial Accountability
- Executive Education Program - Managing Product Design and Development - Northwestern University
- Agile Team Leadership
- Finance & Accounting for Managers & Technical Leadership